1. With so many different styles to choose from, finding the perfect dining table is easy and fun. Traditional designs are best in formal dining rooms, while kitchen and dinette styles create a more casual look.
2. The size of the room and your expected number of dinner companions should be the most important determining factors as you shop. Small tables that seat two to four people are great for couples, while formal banquet rooms could accommodate nine or more guests.
3. In addition to the room size, the shape should also be considered. Oval and rectangular shapes will fit best in a long, narrow room. For square or nearly-square rooms, however, round and square dining surfaces will ensure your dinner guests are seated comfortably with plenty of room left to pass the gravy, stand up and leave their seats, or even play musical chairs.
4. Consider your home's existing decor. Traditional and Mission styles made of wood or metal coordinate best within a traditional decor scheme, while furnishings featuring sleek designs and clean lines are better-suited to contemporary homes. For lighter, more casual decor, a country style table is an excellent choice.
5. Beveled glass tops secured over stylish wrought iron will infuse a bit of European flair into your home.
6. Many models are available in various finishes. Dark wood and black look best with modern decor, while light wood looks and feels rustic.
7. When included, extra leaves--typically constructed to slide out or drop in--allow you to easily add extra seating when hosting large dinner parties or gatherings whose guest lists grow suddenly and unexpectedly.